James Hardie values and respects the privacy of the people we deal with – customers, business partners, investors and staff. In all markets in which we operate we are committed to ensuring that personal information is handled properly by our staff and our service providers, in accordance with local community standards. In individual countries we adopt privacy policies that comply with all local laws and standards.
In Australia, James Hardie Australia Pty Ltd, ABN 12 084 635 558 of Level 3, 22 Pitt Street, Sydney 2000, and other James Hardie companies operating in this market, comply with the Australian Privacy Principles established under the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.
Collection of Personal Information
We treat information as personal information if an individual person can be identified from that information. The types of personal information we collect will depend on the nature of our relationship with you and our relationship with your employer/company (if applicable). Depending on your relationship with us, the personal information we collect may include, but is not limited to:
- Contact details;
- company details;
- employment details;
- educational qualifications; and
- details of past product usage and potential future needs or opportunities.
We only collect personal information to the extent that it is necessary. We will collect your personal information directly from you wherever it is reasonable and practicable to do so. At or before collection (or if not practicable then, as soon as practicable thereafter), we take reasonable steps to ensure that you are aware of the purpose or purposes of collection, the extent to which we may disclose that information and other relevant information. You do not need to give us personal information, but if you don’t, we may not always be able to help you or provide you with the requested services/goods or allow you to participate in an advertised activity. We will tell you at the time if this is the case.
We will not collect information that is regarded as sensitive under the Privacy Act 1988, such as information regarding your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or religious or philosophical beliefs, unless you have expressly consented to such collection.
Use and Disclosure
We will only use or disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, unless:
- you have expressly or impliedly consented to its further use or disclosure;
- you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose it in such a way; or
- we are required by law or are otherwise compelled to disclose such information as permitted in the Australian Privacy Principles.
Generally speaking, we use and disclose personal information for purposes such as:
- to facilitate, maintain and continue a business relationship with suppliers, distributors, customers or employees;
- for future promotional and marketing purposes, including but not limited to direct marketing purposes;
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us, or which we feel may interest you;
- to facilitate and fulfill requests for information;
- to deal with any enquiries or complaints of customers, employees or business partners;
- for market research on products/services customers, employees or business partners may be interested in;
- to improve the quality and level of the products and services we offer to you;
- for statistical purposes, including but not limited to contacting you for your views on our products/services and notifying you about changes or developments to our products/services; and
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device.
For any of the above purposes we may contact you by telephone, mail, electronic or other means.
The types of entities to which we may disclose your personal information include the following:
- Related bodies corporate and our associated companies;
- organisations with whom we have arrangements for the purpose of promoting our products or services;
- our agents, contractors and external advisers who carry on our functions and activities or who assist us to carry on our functions and activities;
- organisations who are contracted by us to perform certain services, including to maintain our websites, provide cloud storage of and management services for personal information, deliver products ordered from us, handle complaints and queries or facilitate any other service offered by us;
- our legal and other professional advisors, when needed; and
- other parties to whom we are authorised or required by law to disclose information.
Transborder Flow of Personal Information
The James Hardie group has companies in a number of different countries including New Zealand, United States of America, Ireland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the Philippines and, as part of our internal administration, your personal information may be shared with one or more of the companies in those countries. Where necessary, we may also contract out various services associated with our functions and activities to entities located outside of Australia. It is not reasonably possible to say what countries the overseas entities we may disclose personal information to are located in. We make every reasonable effort to ensure data security and appropriate privacy practices are maintained by the overseas entities we share personal information with. In this respect, we will only disclose your information to entities located overseas who we have contracted with to treat your personal information in a manner consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Quality and Security
Access, Correction and Opting Out
- require access to any personal information we hold about you;
- wish to notify us of any change, modification or correction; or
- would like to notify us that you do not wish to receive direct marketing material from us in the future.
We will require suitable proof of identity from you before we can grant this access or make the requested changes. In general, we will allow access to the personal information we hold about you. However, we may deny access to you to the extent that providing access would pose a serious threat to the life or health of any individual, or providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals, or it is otherwise appropriate for us to deny access in accordance with the applicable privacy laws.
If we agree, we will make any changes you request. If we don’t agree to make changes, we will provide you with the reasons for our decision.
Concerns or Complaints